You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution EGMONT - The Royal Institute for International Relations Remove constraint Publishing Institution: EGMONT - The Royal Institute for International Relations Political Geography Kenya Remove constraint Political Geography: Kenya Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic Conflict Resolution Remove constraint Topic: Conflict Resolution
- Author: Jean-Christophe Host
- Publication Date: 06-2013
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: EGMONT - The Royal Institute for International Relations
- Abstract: This Africa Policy Brief will look at the Kenyan elections of March 4th 2013 and examine what lessons can be learned from them. The argument that will be developed throughout this paper is that, although the violence was contained, the elections were not a success, because the drivers of conflict in Kenya remain untouched. The underlying reason being that the informal power of the political class still outweighs all the formal institutions and plans put in place. The ruling elite has acknowledged the drivers of conflict in Kenya for years but has shown very little interest in resolving them, because that could influence the drivers of their power.
- Topic: Conflict Resolution, Political Violence, Democratization, Governance
- Political Geography: Kenya, Africa