You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Danish Institute for International Studies Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Danish Institute for International Studies Political Geography Arabia Remove constraint Political Geography: Arabia Topic International Relations Remove constraint Topic: International Relations
- Author: Peter Albrecht
- Publication Date: 05-2010
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Danish Institute for International Studies
- Abstract: Yemen has caught the eye of the international community above all because it has been portrayed as a hotbed of radicalisation and a training ground for al-Qaeda. As a state, Yemen is broadly considered to be both fragile and on the brink of failure. This Policy Brief argues that for a variety of reasons – largely relating to the political system and dynamics within the country – support from Europe and North America will have limited effect. There are limited, if any, technical solutions to the challenges that confront the country; only political ones. International actors from outside the regional context must therefore think twice before engaging and, above all, have a good understanding of the political system that they will be engaging with.
- Topic: International Relations, Islam
- Political Geography: Europe, Middle East, Yemen, Arabia