You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment Political Geography Global Focus Remove constraint Political Geography: Global Focus Topic Agriculture Remove constraint Topic: Agriculture
- Author: Kaitlin Y. Cordes, Olle Östensson, Perrine Toledano
- Publication Date: 07-2016
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment
- Abstract: Employment creation is often seen as a key benefit of investment in natural resources. However, this benefit sometimes falls short: job estimates may be inflated, governmental policies may fail to maximize employment generation, and, in some cases, investments may lead to net livelihood losses. A more thorough examination of employment tied to mining and agricultural investments is thus useful for assessing whether and how employment from natural resource investments contributes to sustainable economic development—a particularly timely topic as countries consider how they will achieve the Sustainable Development Goals adopted in 2015.
- Topic: Agriculture, International Affairs, Economic growth
- Political Geography: Global Focus