You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Clingendael Netherlands Institute for International Relations Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Clingendael Netherlands Institute for International Relations Political Geography America Remove constraint Political Geography: America Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic International Relations Remove constraint Topic: International Relations
- Author: Margriet Drent, Anne Bakker, Dick Zandee
- Publication Date: 11-2016
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Clingendael Netherlands Institute for International Relations
- Abstract: The why, what & how of permanent structured cooperation The deteriorating security situation around Europe and the burgeoning messages from Washington that Europe has to take more responsibility for its own security call for a step change in European defence cooperation. So far, progress has been too slow. This policy brief argues that permanent structured cooperation (Pesco) offers the option to take a more ambitious and more productive route by member states willing to move forward more quickly, set more demanding objectives and commit themselves more strongly. This would end the well-known ‘voluntary basis’ which has often been used as an excuse for doing little or nothing at all.
- Topic: International Relations, Terrorism, International Security, International Affairs, Political and institutional effectiveness
- Political Geography: America, European Union