You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Bruegel Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Bruegel Publication Year within 25 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 25 Years Topic Bilateral Relations Remove constraint Topic: Bilateral Relations
- Author: Maria Demertzis, André Sapir, Guntram Wolff
- Publication Date: 02-2017
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Bruegel
- Abstract: The United States is the European Union’s most important trade and bilateral investment partner, which has, until now, supported a multilateral trade system and European integration and has provided a security guarantee to the countries of the EU. But like other advanced economies, the US’s relative weight in the global economy has declined. The new US administration seems intent on replacing multilateralism with bilateral deals. In trade, it aims to secure new trade deals in order to reduce bilateral trade deficits and to protect, in particular, the US manufacturing sector. In climate policy, the US commitment to the Paris Agreement is being questioned. In defence, the security umbrella appears less certain than previously. The overall promise behind this change of direction is to put ‘America first’ and deliver better results for US citizens.
- Topic: International Political Economy, International Trade and Finance, Bilateral Relations, Multilateral Relatons, Political stability
- Political Geography: Europe, United States of America