You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Atlantic Council Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Atlantic Council Political Geography Egypt Remove constraint Political Geography: Egypt Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic Governance Remove constraint Topic: Governance
- Author: Karim Mezran, Mohsin Khan
- Publication Date: 05-2014
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Atlantic Council
- Abstract: The popular uprisings that swept the Arab world in 2011 passed Algeria by. While there were sporadic street demonstrations calling for political change, principally in the country's capital Algiers, they quickly petered out due to lack of support from the general public. Unlike in Egypt, Libya, and Tunisia, the political power system in Algeria remained intact. The autocratic government of Abdelaziz Bouteflika, who has been the president since 1999, retained complete control, culminating in his reelection on April 17 for a fourth term despite his obviously failing health.
- Topic: Democratization, Governance, Social Movement, Popular Revolt, Reform
- Political Geography: Middle East, Libya, Arabia, North America, Egypt, Tunisia