You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research Remove constraint Publishing Institution: American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research Political Geography Asia Remove constraint Political Geography: Asia Topic Humanitarian Aid Remove constraint Topic: Humanitarian Aid
- Author: John H. Makin
- Publication Date: 01-2008
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research
- Abstract: Japan experienced a disastrous decade of economic stagnation and deflation from 1991 to 2001 after bubbles in its stock market and land market collapsed. While some economic pain was unavoidable—given a 60 percent plunge in equity prices between late 1989 and August 1992, accompanied by the onset of what ultimately became a 70 percent drop in land values by 2001—the "lost decade" was not an inevitable outcome. It required a series of persistently wrong economic policy decisions that ignored the lessons learned in America's Great Depression of the 1930s and the subsequent research on the causes of that painful period.
- Topic: Economics, Human Rights, Human Welfare, Humanitarian Aid, Markets
- Political Geography: United States, Japan, America, Asia