You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Al Jazeera Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Al Jazeera Political Geography Middle East Remove constraint Political Geography: Middle East Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years Topic Conflict Resolution Remove constraint Topic: Conflict Resolution
- Publication Date: 03-2017
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Al Jazeera
- Abstract: This paper reviews the importance of western Mosul to all parties in the conflict: the Iraqi forces and their allies, on the one hand, and the Islamic State’s forces, on the other, and the obstacles to any of these parties resolving the conflict. It also touches on the extent of their forces and the clear dominance of the offensive forces, and it discusses the military strategies for the battle and potential outcomes in addition to the available options for the Islamic State (IS). It anticipates an end to the fight in favour of the Iraqi forces within a few weeks if the battle and its results progress at a similar pace to that of its first week. This will depend on any unaccounted for variables during the battle that would change the equation on the ground. It concludes by discussing the available options for IS after the battle ends, with the expectation that IS will fight until the end; while its commanders will inevitability lose the battle, this will not eliminate threats to security and stability in Iraq in the foreseeable future.
- Topic: Conflict Resolution, Civil War, International Security
- Political Geography: Iraq, Middle East