You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) Remove constraint Publishing Institution: African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years Topic International Trade and Finance Remove constraint Topic: International Trade and Finance
- Author: Eme Dada
- Publication Date: 08-2019
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: African Economic Research Consortium (AERC)
- Abstract: The objective of this policy brief is to inform the Ministers of Trade and Investment of Economic Community of West African State (ECOWAS) countries about the importance of the linkage between Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) and trade for developing countries. FDI is considered an important means of promoting export of the host countries. This is true of inward FDI, which comes for efficiency reasons. Conversely, there is concern that large flows of outward FDI results in a decline in the host country’s exports and loss of jobs. This in turn assumes that the exports of the source country will fall as FDI substitutes for trade.
- Topic: Development, Economics, International Trade and Finance, Foreign Direct Investment, Economic growth
- Political Geography: Africa, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Senegal, Mali, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Cape Verde, Gambia