You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Africa Center for Strategic Studies Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Africa Center for Strategic Studies Political Geography Nigeria Remove constraint Political Geography: Nigeria Topic Corruption Remove constraint Topic: Corruption
- Author: Oluwakemi Okenyodo
- Publication Date: 06-2016
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Africa Center for Strategic Studies
- Abstract: As in much of Africa, the vast majority of security threats facing Nigeria are internal, often involving irregular forces such as insurgents, criminal gangs, and violent religious extremists. Effectively combating such threats requires cooperation from local communities—cooperation limited by low levels of trust in security forces who often have reputations for corruption, heavy-handedness, and politicization. Tackling modern security threats, then, is directly tied with improving the governance and oversight of the security sector, especially the police. Key paths forward include clarifying the structure of command and oversight, strengthening merit-based hiring and promotion processes, and better regulating private and voluntary security providers.
- Topic: International Relations, Corruption, International Affairs, Governance
- Political Geography: Nigeria