You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Africa Center for Strategic Studies Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Africa Center for Strategic Studies Political Geography Mauritania Remove constraint Political Geography: Mauritania Topic Narcotics Trafficking Remove constraint Topic: Narcotics Trafficking
- Author: Cédric Jourde
- Publication Date: 09-2011
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Africa Center for Strategic Studies
- Abstract: Until recently, the Sahel (as-Sahil), literally the “shore” of the Saharan “sea,” rarely made headlines. Nevertheless, the expanding nexus of illicit trafficking and transnational Islamist terrorism—and the increasingly serious risk this poses to stability in the region and to international security—is attracting growing attention. These concerns will likely mount as al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) attempts to use the window of opportunity presented by the Arab Spring to reestablish itself in North Africa while transitional governments there devote much of their energy to rebuilding state institutions. In turn, an unstable North Africa, especially Libya, could further exacerbate insecurity in the Sahel as unsecured weapons and trained mercenaries filter their way into the region.
- Topic: Security, Crime, Narcotics Trafficking
- Political Geography: Africa, Libya, Arabia, Mauritania