You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution The Brookings Institution Remove constraint Publishing Institution: The Brookings Institution Political Geography China Remove constraint Political Geography: China Topic Economics Remove constraint Topic: Economics
- Author: Erica Downs, Peter C. Evans
- Publication Date: 05-2006
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: The Brookings Institution
- Abstract: The efforts of China's national oil companies to secure upstream oil assets abroad have attracted attention from U.S. officials and policymakers. Congress has taken notice, as indicated by the request of the Chairman of the U.S. House of Representatives Resources Committee Richard W. Pombo—triggered by the bid made by China National Offshore Oil Corporation Ltd. for Unocal in 2005—for a study by the Department of Energy of the economic and national security implications of China's energy demand. The report, released in February 2006, concludes that the foreign investments of China's national oil companies do not pose an economic challenge to the U.S. However, one issue the report mentions only in passing that merits further attention is how the Chinese government's financial support for some of these investments can undermine an open and competitive world oil market.
- Topic: Security, Economics, Energy Policy
- Political Geography: United States, China, Asia