You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution EGMONT - The Royal Institute for International Relations Remove constraint Publishing Institution: EGMONT - The Royal Institute for International Relations Political Geography Europe Remove constraint Political Geography: Europe Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years Topic Brexit Remove constraint Topic: Brexit
- Author: Jacqueline Breidlid, Cenni Najy
- Publication Date: 06-2016
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: EGMONT - The Royal Institute for International Relations
- Abstract: For those wishing to see the UK exit from the EU, Switzerland has become a poster child, an example of how a country outside the EU can retain access to the EU’s internal market, thereby flourishing economically, and yet retaining its sovereignty and independence. But can a similar arrangement to that of Switzerland really provide a suitable alternative – a “Plan B” – for the UK’s relationship with the EU? With the referendum providing potential exit for the UK from the EU rapidly approaching, a Swiss-type plan B deserves some serious consideration. This paper examines the central claims made by those who see Switzerland as a model for the UK’s future relationship with the EU and argues that the Swiss model is no Holy Grail for the UK.
- Topic: International Affairs, Brexit
- Political Geography: Europe