You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Center for Global Development Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Center for Global Development Political Geography Brazil Remove constraint Political Geography: Brazil Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years
- Author: Nancy Birdsall, Frances Seymour, William Savedoff
- Publication Date: 08-2014
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Center for Global Development
- Abstract: In March 2004, the Brazilian government initiated a range of policies and enforcement actions (under the Action Plan for Preservation and Control of Deforestation in the Legal Amazon) that brought sharp reductions in the rate of deforestation. In 2008, Brazil signed an agreement with Norway to receive payments during a 5-year period for bringing greenhouse gas emissions from deforestation below a 10-year average (1996–2005). Norway pledged up to US$1 billion for this agreement, which stipulated that these funds would be donated to the Amazon Fund (Fundo Amazônia), managed by the Brazilian National Development Bank and invested in actions to prevent deforestation and to promote the conservation and sustainable use of the Amazon biome.
- Topic: Climate Change, Treaties and Agreements, Natural Resources
- Political Geography: Norway, Brazil