You searched for: Content Type Journal Article Remove constraint Content Type: Journal Article Political Geography Chicago Remove constraint Political Geography: Chicago Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Journal Ambassadors Review Remove constraint Journal: Ambassadors Review
- Author: Ravic Huso, Alexandre Escorcia
- Publication Date: 04-2012
- Content Type: Journal Article
- Journal: Ambassadors Review
- Institution: Council of American Ambassadors
- Abstract: As the United States prepares to host the first NATO Summit on American soil since 1999, the transatlantic Alliance faces an unfamiliar strategic challenge: how to retain and acquire the capabilities it needs for the future during an unprecedented period of fiscal austerity. NATO's original purpose has remained constant through the decades, and the 2010 Strategic Concept formulates it in language that could have come from the 1949 Treaty: “to safeguard the freedom and security of all its members by political and military means.” What has evolved is the range of security challenges that threaten NATO nations, but also, crucially, the public's perception of these threats and the resources needed to confront them.
- Political Geography: United States, Chicago