You searched for: Content Type Journal Article Remove constraint Content Type: Journal Article Publishing Institution Sakarya University Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Sakarya University Political Geography Turkey Remove constraint Political Geography: Turkey Topic Islam Remove constraint Topic: Islam
- Author: Mehmet Karakaş
- Publication Date: 06-2013
- Content Type: Journal Article
- Institution: Sakarya University
- Abstract: The construction of identity is one of the determinant factors in constructing a valid individual and social world, for identities are constructed both individually and socially. Identities through the demarcation of political boundaries the internalization of the essential dissimilarity of the other is created and the theoretical underpinning of actual practices is formulated. In addition, it always requires a politicized society. The construction processes of identity in Turkish society have always functioned as a dynamic of political change. In fact, policy formed around identity politics has always been an essential determining factor on political, and in general, on the social structure from Ottoman to modern times. At turning points in the history of societies, changes in the issue of identity also occur. The developments that took place under the partiality for Westernization and in the post-1980 neo-liberal process exhibit variations in the identity construction of the Turkish community. In this study, the politics and sociology of identity will be discussed in relation to the formulations of identity from the time of Ottoman Turkey to the modern Turkish Republic.
- Topic: Islam
- Political Geography: Turkey