You searched for: Content Type Journal Article Remove constraint Content Type: Journal Article Publishing Institution Prof. Bulent Aras Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Prof. Bulent Aras Political Geography Arabia Remove constraint Political Geography: Arabia Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years
- Author: Muhammed Kürsad Özekin, Hasan Hüseyin Akkaş
- Publication Date: 04-2015
- Content Type: Journal Article
- Journal: Alternatives: Turkish Journal of International Relations
- Institution: Prof. Bulent Aras
- Abstract: This article pursues two main objectives. First, mainly drawing on empirical evidences rather than journalistic impressions and reports on the Arap Spring, it aims to provide an in-depth analysis of the sets of socio-economic and socio-political factors that have been deeply rooted in the region for more than half a century and which have driven (and continue to drive) a wave of uprisings across the region commonly labelled as the 'Arab Spring'. Thus, this study expects to present a slightly different reading of the Arap Spring by placing the issue into the socio-economic and socio-political context of the recent past. Secondly, by considering a range of factors such as the responses of the regimes, the role of security forces, the ethnic and sectarian makeup of the societies and the politico-institutional feature of states, it explains how the unfolding of events has differed from country to country and why some uprisings have succeeded in toppling regimes and others have not.
- Political Geography: Arabia