You searched for: Content Type Commentary and Analysis Remove constraint Content Type: Commentary and Analysis Publishing Institution Rethinking Russia Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Rethinking Russia Political Geography America Remove constraint Political Geography: America Topic Elections Remove constraint Topic: Elections
- Author: Andrey Korobkov
- Publication Date: 01-2016
- Content Type: Commentary and Analysis
- Institution: Rethinking Russia
- Abstract: The 2016 electoral campaign outcome came like a complete bolt out of the blue for the American establishment, including the ruling elites, as well as academics, journalists, and other groups safeguarding the elites’ interests. Ironically, the showy campaign and the scandalous behavior of US billionaire and TV star Donald Trump, now 45th President-elect, overshadowed the fact that such a candidate per se exposed a deep systemic crisis in American society. Both the general public and professionals had overlooked the phenomenon. The crisis is caused by the exhausted potential of the US political and socio-economic system, which took shape in the 1960s and is over 50 years old. That is why the problems that the campaign laid bare will not merely fade away after the elections.
- Topic: International Relations, International Organization, International Affairs, Elections
- Political Geography: America