You searched for: Content Type Commentary and Analysis Remove constraint Content Type: Commentary and Analysis Publishing Institution Carnegie Council Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Carnegie Council Topic International Organization Remove constraint Topic: International Organization
- Author: Teodore Stan
- Publication Date: 04-2019
- Content Type: Commentary and Analysis
- Institution: Carnegie Council
- Abstract: As the North Atlantic Alliance (NATO) foreign ministers gather this week in Washington to mark the 70th anniversary of the most successful military alliance in history, trouble is brewing over Brexit and the rise of populism in the western front and the challenges brought by autocratic leaders on its eastern front. Democratic backsliding, particularly in Turkey, Poland, and Hungary, has painted a bleak picture for the shared values-centered rationale of the alliance. Not unlike its troubled neighbors, Romania also presents its own frailty with regards to the challenged independence of its justice system and its defanged prosecution of high-level corruption.
- Topic: International Organization, International Affairs
- Political Geography: Romania