You searched for: Content Type Case Study Remove constraint Content Type: Case Study Political Geography Global Focus Remove constraint Political Geography: Global Focus Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years Topic Military Affairs Remove constraint Topic: Military Affairs
- Author: Marta Ghittoni, Léa Lehouck, Callum Watson
- Publication Date: 07-2018
- Content Type: Case Study
- Institution: Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance (DCAF)
- Abstract: The proportion of female police and military peacekeepers remains well below UN targets. Research suggests that the main reason behind the small numbers seems to be a variety of challenges and barriers to uniformed women deploying to PKOs. This baseline study compiles and analyses research published to date on the topic. The study was commissioned by Global Affairs Canada (GAC) in the framework of the Elsie Initiative for Women in Peace Operations. The main objectives of this study are to describe the current situation as concerns women’s participation in military and police roles in United Nations peacekeeping operations, document international good practice to increase such participation, and identify challenges and barriers to the recruitment, training, retention, deployment and promotion of uniformed women in peacekeeping operations.
- Topic: Gender Issues, Peacekeeping, Military Affairs, Women
- Political Geography: Geneva, Canada, United Nations, Global Focus