You searched for: Content Type Book Remove constraint Content Type: Book Political Geography Global Focus Remove constraint Political Geography: Global Focus Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic Economics Remove constraint Topic: Economics
- Publication Date: 09-2018
- Content Type: Book
- Institution: Center for the Implementation of Public Policies for Equity and Growth (CIPPEC)
- Abstract: More than half of the global population lives in cities, an increase of 15 percent over the last 35 years. Driven largely by population growth and a search for better living conditions and work opportunities, this trend is expected to continue. With 80% of its population living in cities, Latin America is the second most urbanized region on the planet and is estimated that by 2050 approximately 90% of its population will be urban (UN-Habitat, 2012).
- Topic: Economics, Urbanization, Digital Economy, Urban, Transportation, Cities
- Political Geography: Argentina, Latin America, Global Focus
- Author: Akbar Norman, Joseph E. Stiglitz
- Publication Date: 11-2016
- Content Type: Book
- Institution: Columbia University Press
- Abstract: Industrial policy, once relegated to resource allocation, technological improvements, and the modernization of industries, should be treated as a serious component of sustainability and developmental economics. A rich set of complimentary institutions, shared behavioral norms, and public policies have sustained economic growth from Britain's industrial revolution onwards. This volume revisits the role of industrial policy in the success of these strategies and what it can offer developed and developing economies today. Featuring essays from experts invested in the expansion of industrial policies, topics discussed include the most effective use of industrial policies in learning economies, development finance, and promoting investment in regional and global contexts. Also included are in-depth case studies of Japan and India's experience with industrial policy in the banking and private sector. One essay revisits the theoretical and conceptual foundations of industrial policy from a structural economics perspective and another describes the models, packages, and transformation cycles that constitute a variety of approaches to implementation. The collection concludes with industrial strategies for facilitating quality growth, realizing more sustainable manufacturing development, and encouraging countries to industrialize around their natural resources.
- Topic: Economics, Industrial Policy, Natural Resources, Finance
- Political Geography: Global Focus
- Publication Identifier: 9780231542777
- Publication Identifier Type: ISBN