You searched for: Content Type Book Remove constraint Content Type: Book Publishing Institution Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, Harvard University Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, Harvard University Political Geography Europe Remove constraint Political Geography: Europe Publication Year within 25 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 25 Years Topic Economics Remove constraint Topic: Economics
- Author: Robert H. Bates
- Publication Date: 12-2012
- Content Type: Book
- Institution: Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, Harvard University
- Abstract: When praised at all, imperialism is most often commended for the peace it bestowed. By demobilizing armies, deposing marauding princes and subduing war-like states, European powers fashioned a half-century of political order. The question nonetheless arises: Should they be lauded for that? In this chapter, I view Africa's history through the lens of comparative history and argue that the imperial peace may have retarded Africa's development.
- Topic: Development, Economics, Imperialism, Post Colonialism, Natural Resources
- Political Geography: Africa, Europe