You searched for: Content Type Book Remove constraint Content Type: Book Publishing Institution Danish Institute for International Studies Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Danish Institute for International Studies Political Geography Arab Countries Remove constraint Political Geography: Arab Countries
- Author: Hans Mouritzen (ed), Nanna Hvidt (ed)
- Publication Date: 06-2012
- Content Type: Book
- Institution: Danish Institute for International Studies
- Abstract: The Permanent Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs analyses Danish foreign-policy priorities in 2011. The troublesome situation for the global econ-omy, including an uncertain outlook for the future, was the most impor-tant backdrop for Danish foreign policy in that year. Low growth prospects, combined with high levels of public debt, had wide foreign-policy implica-tions, amongst other things for the agenda of the EU and as a result also for the preparations for the Danish EU Presidency in the first half of 2012. This article therefore takes its point of departure in the state of the global economy, the state of the European economies and the challenges that this presented to the EU. It then goes on to discuss the emerging world powers, the Arab Spring, the world's conflict areas, security policy, Denmark's north-ern neighbours and various global issues, such as development cooperation, green growth and human rights. Finally, some reflections are offered on the core tasks of the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs at a time when there is increased pressure on Denmark's public finances and the world influence of Denmark's traditional partners and allies is waning.
- Topic: Foreign Policy, Defense Policy, Diplomacy
- Political Geography: Afghanistan, Europe, Middle East, Asia, Arab Countries, Denmark, North Africa