You searched for: Publishing Institution Centre for European Policy Studies Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Centre for European Policy Studies Political Geography United Kingdom Remove constraint Political Geography: United Kingdom Topic Emerging Markets Remove constraint Topic: Emerging Markets
- Author: Kari E. O. Alho
- Publication Date: 03-2005
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Centre for European Policy Studies
- Abstract: This paper presents an alternative derivation of the gravity equation for foreign trade, which is explicitly based on monopolistic competition in the export markets and which is more general than previously seen in the literature. In contrast with the usual specification, our model allows for the realistic assumption of asymmetry in mutual trade flows. The model is estimated for trade in Europe, producing evidence that trade flows and barriers do indeed reveal strong asymmetry. We then carry out a simulation, based on the estimated model, of the general equilibrium effects (through trade) of the UK's possible entrance into the economic and monetary union.
- Topic: Economics, Emerging Markets, International Trade and Finance
- Political Geography: United Kingdom, Europe