You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution Economist Intelligence Unit Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Economist Intelligence Unit Topic Politics Remove constraint Topic: Politics
- Publication Date: 12-2011
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Economist Intelligence Unit
- Abstract: This is the fourth edition of the Economist Intelligence Unit's Democracy index. It reflects the situation as of the beginning of December 2011. The first edition, published in The Economist's The World in 2007, measured the state of democracy in September 2006; the second edition covered the situation towards the end of 2008; and the third as of November 2010. The index provides a snapshot of the state of democracy worldwide for 165 independent states and two territories—this covers almost the entire population of the world and the vast majority of the world's independent states (micro states are excluded). The overall Democracy index is based on five categories: electoral process and pluralism; civil liberties; the functioning of government; political participation; and political culture. Countries are placed within one of four types of regimes: full democracies; flawed democracies; hybrid regimes; and authoritarian regimes.
- Topic: International Relations, Civil Society, Democratization, Government, Politics